Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What is love?




Have you ever wondered what exactly LOVE is...?  I mean, you know who you love...  you know, (for the most part) who loves you...  but what if you meet someone new and you think you feel love... how do you really know? 

I looked up the word "love" in my handy dandy dictionary...  Truthfully, the definition it gave me makes me think I love everyone... (which sometimes I think I think I do so it's good to know that I'm correct)  Webster's uses many word like affection, attachment, desire, admiration... words that seem sort of generic for such a significant word...  The deepest definition, which I felt at least attempted to give good meaning was #3a: ~unselfish concern that freely accepts another in loyalty and seeks his good. Even this definition seems simple...  Why so much confusion over something that seems so natural?

With this question on my mind I decided to consult the Good Book.. The Bible.  Who knows more about love than God himself right?  I find a definition that at least makes me think the word 'love' is a bit more serious than Webster's theory.. (sorry my friend).  Although, still basic and nothing to be afraid of...

The bible calls love our greatest gift....

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; loves does not parade itself; is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil, does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; love never fails.....

~1 corinthians 13: 4-8

Of course it goes on to say lots of things about who we should love and how...  It's a great handbook on the subject really...  But my purpose here is to just determine how do you know when you feel love?  Is it's real?

Here's what I think.... and feel free to add your own, I would love to hear it...

If you can't wait to see  someone at the end of the day... It's real..
If you are sad when they have a bad day, or are sick, or hurt... It's real..
If they get to spend time with a family member or friend without you... and you are happy for them... it's real..
If you smile when you get a phone call, e-mail or text... It's real..
If you can easily come up with 29 great things to say about them on their birthday... It's real..
If they say they liked your burnt dinner and eat seconds... it's real..
If they stay up with you all night long because you are sad, just to shower and go to work... it's real..
If you are always happy to see that special someone.... it's real..
If you feel a need to check on someone you haven't heard from for a while... It's real..
If they take a whole day off to drive you to the doctor... it's real..
If you drive an hour out of your way just for a kiss or a hug...  it's real..
If you feel the need to cry when it's time to say good-bye for a while... It's real..
If you feel the need to cry when you finally get to see someone you miss... it's real..
If you have an aching feeling that you can't get close enough to that special someone... it's real..
When you find yourself saying over and over... "I've never felt like this before..." it's real..


Oh, sure there are many other ways to tell if it's real, as well as different kinds of love I know... But I couldn't find anything that said it only means..  physical attraction, or lust, or that we have the ability to love only one person...  I don't think love needs to be complicated.. it only needs to be genuine... to have feelings for another person that are similar to the two definitions above.  I'm talking about the basic fundemental core meaning of the word, the stuff all types of love are built upon..  I don't think we should be afraid to identify our feelings as love if that's what they are.  

I don't believe in love at first sight necessarily... but I do believe, not always, but sometimes, it's possible to meet someone, spend a short amount of time getting to know them and be positive that on some level you love them and always will... 

I love many people outside my husband, kids and other family... I have many friends and co-workers that I feel love for...  people who fall under Webster's definition for sure...  So to everyone who has ever heard me say "I love you" please know that after careful thought and consideration... I can honestly say...  I mean it..

This Valentines day...  I think we should all take the time to shoot the people we love a small Valentine message and tell them we love them...  Unfortunately, you never know when they might not be with us... Life is so often unpredictable and random...  take every opportunity you can to tell those you do, that you love them...  Don't be afraid... Just do it!!

Love is not a feeling... It's an ability
        ~ Marty,   
           Dan in Real Life



P.S.  - To the one I stole this music from~  I couldn't find a more appropriate song, though I did try... and it is what started me thinking about this subject anyway.  Please forgive me.

No comments:

Post a Comment