Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Stress Free Weekend...


How about this fabulous cabin on the beach?  It's in Pacific City, Oregon on 27 acres of beautiful landscape, it has a lake and is a short walk to the beach.  And it's all ours... well for 4 days anyway.  It's called the Caring Cabin and it's owned by the Children's Cancer Association.  It's available to families who have children with cancer... lucky us huh?

This is a time for us to act as if nothing is wrong and have a great weekend that we otherwise could not afford.  We are going to pretend that our son's little body, along with our lives as we knew it, our bank account and our spirits were not ravaged by cancer. We are going to put all that aside and just enjoy a special time together.  This weekend will mark six months since Jesse's diagnosis.  Our family has been through a lot in these months and this time will give us an opportunity to take a small break from that.  Our life is not where I though it would be after our move to Oregon and it's been difficult to just take each doctor appointment as it comes.  The fear of the unknown is the greatest fear of all I've decided.

Don't get me wrong... with the exception of the first 8 weeks or so, Jesse really has done well.  He's not been too sick, he's tolerated the chemo, had a good response and he's been able to do most things as if he didn't have cancer.  But, that hasn't stopped me from obsessing and being scared and worrying.  Most of the time I'm able to keep things in perspective and not let my emotions get out of control.... but sometimes, if I allow myself to think about things for too long... I get really scared and upset and can't stop the tears...  the dam gets full I guess.  I'm really looking forward to a weekend away from reality.  I think everyone who carries much stress should take time and give yourself permission to put your burden down for a minute.  I hope my whole family can do the same this weekend.

Jesse's next big scan is March 6th.  I can't really imagine it being anything other than good news, but, I also can't really escape the fear that it's not...  I guess only time will tell, but for this weekend...  I won't allow myself to worry about it...   

Here's hoping for good weather, but not really caring what we get...  

Don't worry, be happy!!

1 comment:

  1. We just discoverd that you have a blog, too!! Yay! We hope your weekend at the beach was fun and relaxing, you definitely deserve it! Love - Heidi, Mike, and Bradyn

    ReplyDelete