Friday, November 13, 2009

Celebrate Life

Happy Celebrate Life Day!!

It's November 13th... A very bittersweet day in our family.. It's the day Markelle was called to receive her new small bowel and bone marrow transplant seven years ago. It was a life saving day for our precious princess which makes it a sweet, sweet day... The fact that she's not here today to share it with us makes it a little bitter...

How would one describe the extra 3 years we got to spend with that beauty...? A three year celebration of life, that's how. Each day was a gift and a treasure.

We learned so much from Markelle. Selflessness, patience, sacrifice, perseverance, commitment and faith, just name a few of the qualities Markelle had and gladly passed on to the rest of us. She was the most amazing girl and continues to be a strong influence in our daily lives. Not a day goes by that I can't count at least one blessing in my life linked directly to her and what she left behind. I'm sure a lot of you feel the same way.

For these reasons, I choose today to Celebrate Life.. Her's, mine, my family's, Markelle's donor's, Jesse's donor's, and all my friends. I am grateful to every person who touches my life, and I believe there should be a day set aside to celebrate them. What better tribute to a gal who started it all?


So... tonight, I will celebrate with my family, talk about you and how much we love you, and then say a little prayer for you at bed time.

As for Markelle... There is now a big hole in our hearts from loosing such a priceless gift, but that hole is filled to the top with precious memories and lessons learned. About life, love, loss and survival... We will forever celebrate her and what she left for us.

Take some time tonight to Celebrate Life with the ones you love... and as always, talk about the importance of organ and tissue donation... it really does change lives!!


3 comments:

  1. Love this post. Thanks for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of Markelle often and how she taught me to appreciate and love the people in my life. She is loved by so many for who she was and what she gave to all of us. Yes, let's Celebrate Life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this, Allie. Oh, how I loved that little girl! We were just talking about her this morning! There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her and reflect on what she taught me. I am still amazed at what she accomplished in her short 10 years. I miss you, Rae Rae! I love this post and the reminder to celebrate life!

    ReplyDelete