Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My Dear Dad...

Me N' Dad


Have I ever told you about my dad? Most of you I have, but I imagine there are some who don't know about David... I just want to take the opportunity to give a shout out to the big guy.. not because it's his birthday or Father's Day, but just because. Someone recently pointed out that it is the right thing to do.. and you know what? It is...

My dad is a phenomenal grandpa.. He has been so wonderful to Jesse always. He's constantly worried and concerned when Jesse is sick and even when he is not.. He's interested in his school and his friends and health and happiness. He brings the "yummy" kind of fruit snacks to Jesse every single week.. (not the -good for you- kind that mom buys..) He's even wonderful to Gage and Mikalie and they love him tons too. He's always showering all the kids with sugar because he say's it's his job. Not to mention supporting all the fundraiser kids have from time to time.. and being present at their numerous activities and special events. For me, he brings cashew's and fancy coffee beans.. mmmm... delicious!

He moved to Oregon with us when we came here. He didn't want to be away from his family. He lives only about 8 minutes from our house. He's been a huge help to us, frequently meeting the bus for Gage when I had to be at the hospital with Jesse last year. He's always available to help in a pinch and oh so happy to do it!! His most frequently asked question is.. "need Gpaw to do sumpin'?", and I know he always means it.

He's super with kids, I tell him I think he would make a great crossing guard.. Kids just love those people and kids love him.. He's great about keeping me posted on local events and the latest buzz in the news about something he knows I'm interested in, not to mention my favorite actors and actresses. He's an information wizard, if you need info about something in particular, you just need to say the word, he can find anything you need in no time flat.

My dad was also a very good son, taking care of my Grandma till the very end. Not only did he visit daily, but he won the hearts of the little ladies he met while spending time with her. He has a lot of compassion in his heart and is sweet and loving around the elderly. I'm sure he was missed dearly at the Assisted Living Complex my grandma lived in.

David was a cook. Did you know that..? It was his first career, later he went into law enforcement. But he started out as a chef, I know that's where I get my love of cooking from. Only with me it was reversed. I didn't like it at all until my mid thirties... now I love it!! I sort of grew up in the back of a restaurant... I learned much about how to set up a salad bar, wrap potatoes for baking, make Thousand Island dressing, and delicately drop a dollop of whip cream on top of a cup of Jello.. (I'm dating myself now, do you remember when Jello was a nice desert?) But the best lesson I learned from my time in the restaurant was about elbow grease.. I remember my dad teaching me how to use elbow grease to get the tables extra clean... I still smile to myself when I start rubbing something really hard...


My dad loves a good party and probably would have preferred to retire to Vegas. He's always up for a good time and loves being around his family. I'm not the best daughter, I'm frequently busy and preoccupied by the crazy world around me.. but I love my dad and I'm glad he is always there.

Better late than never to say I love you...

No comments:

Post a Comment