Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Jesse's Transplant Day!!


See this house? This is were I live. I think this picture pretty much describes how I feel on a daily basis... I feel like my little family is ALWAYS sitting directly under a rainbow.... a smile from God...

Jesse is the most amazing gift in our lives. He is a true miracle.. The kind you only read about in fictional novels... the real heartfelt tear jerker kind... but he's really here... When I seriously let myself sit down and think about it... It seems so bizarrely magical...

Tomorrow will mark the 6 year anniversary of his transplant... For those who don't already know, Jesse was blessed with the gift of life... a liver and small bowel. He was just 3 months from his second birthday.. It's always a time of deep reflection on my part.

(This is Jesse the first time we met him... 4 months post transplant)

We tease in our family that Jesse has so many "special" days... Birthday, Transplant Day, Gotcha Day, Adoption Day and newly added... End of Chemo Day... Which day is most important? I can't say... without each special day, Jesse would not be in my life, so I can't even begin to rank them... Each day is special and unique in it's own way.

This morning, when talking to Jesse about his special day, he asked the question I've been avoiding because of his young age... "Where is the person who gave me a liver and bowel?" Of course I don't believe such a gift should ever be a secret.... so I explained it as best I could for his level of understanding... Today he knows that his special angel and Markelle, along with God, are in heaven looking after him. I believe that more than anyone could ever know. I hope that Jesse grows up believing this too.


Okay, not such a great picture, but unfortunately, the only one of two moms and two transplant babies on Markelle's transplant anniversary. November 13th, 2004. We always celebrated Markelle's special day with a Celebrate Life party. This day I believe was a Mexican Fiesta!! Markelle helped Jesse find his forever family and she loved him so very much! Jesse is so blessed to have had her such a big part of his life.

Tomorrow, six years after his life was forever changed by a very gracious set of parents who made the hardest decision ever, we will pray for them and thank them, and remember them in all that we do. Being an organ donor is more than just a decision, it's an act of unconditional love. My hope is to instill that in Jesse so that he never forgets to appreciate what he's been given. I know that with his sweet disposition and loving personality he will always be thankful!

Please join us in remembering everyone who's life has been touch by organ donation. Tell somone new about Jesse and Markelle in hopes of inspiring them to be an organ donor too. Tell your family once again about your wishes to be a donor. It's the most important thing you can do to ensure your wishes are carried out by the ones you are closest to.

To my sweet baby boy... No one could ever love you more... I appreciate each day with you because I know that your life is my reward... You are my pot of gold at the end of this rainbow!!


Before Transplant 2002




So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.
~2 Corinthians 9:7

3 comments:

  1. Oh Allie, I love your blog. I always have to read it last because it makes me cry. Give Jess a hug from me and Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie!!! I'm so excited to hear from you! Jesse is so grown up...I can't believe it! I'm so glad he is cancer free, what a blessing! Your blog is so cute and it's great to catch up w/ your family. Funny thing...this was the background for my blog-I just changed it about 3 or 4 days ago. Great minds think alike, right! Also, your favorites=my favorites. Okay...now we have no excuse not to keep in touch. I hope things keep going good for you all! Love you, Kim Lambert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allie! HOly Cow it's been forever! Kim told me about your blog! I love it! I love your telling of Jesses story. He is a little miracle! and so adorable!
    Love you tons and hope to hear more from you!
    Kati Alger

    ReplyDelete